[EM] Mass Candidates

Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 6 22:27:08 PDT 2006

If your scoring ballot is reduced to a rank ballot before treatment
there is no difference.  If one uses the scores on every ballot in such
a way that changing one score on a ballot without changing the implicit
ranking can affect the result, I think the extra precision available
to voters leads more toward strategical calculations than toward a
more precise sincere result.

For Example lets say we use an average method to elect one person among
A, B and C. You voted: A=>5, B=>4 and C=>10.
Suppose I voted A=>5, B=>8 and C=>4.
The averages are: A=> 5, B=>6 and C=>7.
C should win.
I could unsincerely vote A=>5, B=>10 and C=>2 without changing
my ranking but the new averages would be A=> 5, B=>7 and C=>6.
B now wins which is a result I prefer.
The additional precision added by the scoring method could lead more often
to strategical calculations than a true expression of ones preferences.