[EM] Mass Candidates

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Mon Jul 3 23:34:48 PDT 2006

TOO MANY candidates.  Voters cannot sort such a field in any reasonable
effort.

About their best choice is hearing from a handful of candidates and
sorting among them.

My vote, as about always, is for Condorcet, permitting ranking a little
more than 3, though 3 is enough to satisfy most.  DO permit equal ranking.

Approval is tempting if you MUST, because it avoids the Condorcet array.

IF there must be a monster candidate list, but voters will only vote among
a handful, Condorcet can be set up to create only as big an array as
needed for voted-for candidates (and increasing array size
as ballots indicate need).

If there must be a monster candidate count, DO NOT make voters page thru a
monster list.  Look at the many ways we set up for picking one name from a
long list, pick a method, and let voters use it for each candidate they
wish to vote for.

DWK

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 00:25:05 -0700 dave smith wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I need help in determining what voting system would be best for the
> following criteria:
>
> ~500 candidates
> ~1000 voters
> 1 winner
>
> I was going to do a form of PV, but limit the number of ranks to 3.
> The problem with this is that what if there are more candidates than
> voters, and the voters decided to stop paging through candidates after
> the 3rd - 4th page of candidates.
>
> Maybe an approval system would be better here?
>
> Thanks

                  If you want peace, work for justice.