[EM] Mexico

Warren Smith wds at math.temple.edu
Tue Jul 11 08:10:05 PDT 2006

>Does anyone here have information about how the Mexican Presidential
Election might have turned out IF it had been conducted with
something besides plurality winner?

--yes.
See the CRV's "wrong winner elections" page

http://www.rangevoting.org/FunnyElections.html

and appropriate subpages that give more details about mexico 2006, polls, and etc.

There seems little doubt that Calderon only won as an artifact of the plurality
system.   Better systems would have elected Obrador or Madrazo.

Incidentally, Peru 2006 and Chile 1970 are addressed there also and
found to be examples of the failure of IRV.  Pro-IRV gorups have falsely
claimed there are no real world xamples of IRV failure.

I recommend joinign and endorsing CRV as usual...
Warren Smith
http://www.RangeVoting.org

PS. If you find more information about Mexico 06 that either supprots
or argues against (or clarifies) these conclusions, please let me know.
warren.wds ^at/ gmail.com