[EM] left-middle-right 3-canddiate scenario, exhaustive treatment, range-voting best

Warren Smith wds at math.temple.edu
Mon Jul 10 15:33:16 PDT 2006

OK, the hopefully-final version of my
   "Left-middle-right 3-candidate scenario"
paper, which attempts an exhaustive computer simulation of
essentially all such scenarios, is now available at
   http://math.temple.edu/~wds/homepage/works.html   #95.

It concludes that range voting is clearly the best voting method
among all tried (and in the situations tried, a heck of a lot of proposed
voting methods are equvalent to simpler ones which we do try).

Surprisingly, it is found that a 50-50 mixture of "near-honest" and "strategic"
range voters (the latter are the same as approval voters) actually produces
(in our scenarios) BETTER performance than either ingredient of that mix alone.
This 50-50 mix is believed, based on experience exit-polling real
human range voters, to be a pretty good approximation of reality.

The complete computer program used to carry this out is downloadable and since
all arithmetic is exact (no roundoff errors) and there is no use of randomness,
all results should be exactly reproducible.

Warren D. Smith
http://www.RangeVoting.org