[EM] Bucklin PR ?

Chris Benham chrisbenham at bigpond.com
Thu Jan 12 08:41:42 PST 2006

In  November 2005,  I suggested  a PR version of  ER-Bucklin (whole).
It  has been pointed out to me that one word is wrong. In step 2,
"amount"  should instead  be "proportion".

The corrected version:
"Voters rank candidates, truncatation and equal-ranking ok.

The winning threshold  to elect the first winner is a Droop quota
(number of valid ballots/number of seats +1).

(1) Commence the ER-Bucklin(whole) process until the candidate with the
highest score has a winning threshold.That single candidate is elected.

(2) Reduce the weight of all the ballots that contributed to the
winner's tally by an equal proportion which sums to a Droop quota.
(Then delete the winner from the ballots.)

(3) Based on these reweighted ballots, the reduced number of unfilled
seats, and not counting as valid any now exhausted ballots,reset the Droop quota.

(4) Repeat  the above three steps until all the seats are filled."

Chris Benham