[EM] proxy representation with "dissenting votes" - a "Vote for me" request.

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue Feb 28 12:34:38 PST 2006

At 12:01 AM 2/27/2006, Jeff Wegerson wrote:
>I have been intrigued with the ideas of Direct Democracy by Delegable
>Proxy since the late 80's.

That makes you very early. I probably came up with delegable proxy,
independently, in the late eighties also. It was only after the 2000
election, however, that I realized how DP could become something more
than a utopian dream, it was then that my experience and
understanding of Free Associations (modelled after Alcoholics
Anonymous, which I've studied for years, going to many meetings
though I'm not an alcoholic) came together with the thought about DP.
I now have a plan for implementation of DP which starts right here
and which takes us to a place where the next steps will be relatively
easy and which I deliberately abstain from trying to plan.
Essentially, I'm not smart enough, and neither is any individual among us.

*Any* implementation of DP furthers this plan, even if it is not FA.
FAs, however, have the potential to sidestep existing governmental
institutions; FA/DP organizations, in theory, should be more powerful
than any special interest group, something which organizations of
Progressives, for example, are unlikely to accomplish.

If this organization *really* wants to be progressive, let it drop
the political bias incorporated in its name and become simply an
organization of the people.

But probably biased organizations will be the first to implement DP,
unless one of my special projects succeeds. If, within the special
definition of the organization ("progressives," in this case), the
organization is and remains inclusive and refuses to factionalize
such that one faction controls it, it could have the potential to
merge with a larger organization that brings in greater diversity.
But this route is problematic, for it will threated existing defacto
oligarchies, which, by definition, hold excess power.

And that the system, to which we have been pointed by Mr. Wegerson,
apparently allows people to join merely for the purpose of adding a
proxy to a candidate, whom they do not know and do not have any
working relationship with, is a bad sign. The polling results will be
distorted, as they will not really represent proportionally the
membership. And, please, don't interpret this as some kind of
criticism of Mr. Wegerson. He's merely doing what is implicit in the
structure he is facing.

In a Free Association, it really doesn't matter, for the FA only
measures consensus and fosters communication through the proxy
system, and distortions through manipulation of the system will be
largely useless for the one attempting the manipulation, they will,
so to speak, end up with a mouthful of hair. By not collecting and
exerting power directly, most of the motivation for manipulation
disappears. You can get heard at a high level by falsifying proxies
or collecting what are really irrelevant proxies, not backed by a
relationship of trust, but, in a DP organization, you can get heard
at a high level without such manipulations. You just have to convince
*one* person, your proxy, whom you have chosen and who has agreed to
communicate with you. To return your phone calls, literally or
figuratively. And if you can't do that, you will not be more
successful, ultimately, merely because you pretend to have a hundred
or a thousand or a million people who agree with you or trust you.

Suppose you commit the ultimate fraud: you manufacture a majority of
proxies. You then hold a vote to implement your desired goal. And it
is approved by a majority, no surprise. But if you have not actually
convinced the rest of the proxies or members of the desirability of
that goal, *they will simply ignore it,* and their "caucus" will
simply make its own decisions and will recommend that the members act
on *their* consensus.

And so you will find yourself inviting yourself to contribute to your
campaign for, say, Senator, and a different candidate will receive
the contributions of most of the members of the organization....

You might even be an enemy of the organization, and you think you
could bring it down by, say, taking over and shutting down the
domain. But the domain would be held in trust for the organization by
an individual. You'd have to convince that person to turn it over.
Yes, you could go through court process to claim that you were the
rightful owner, and you might win, but it would take time. Meanwhile,
the *real* members would simply reorganize under another domain; FAs
make no substantial investment in infrastructure, they don't really
own anything except perhaps their name (and thus, perhaps, their
domain). Even if you managed to gain control of the domain directly
and you simply shut it down, all the proxies will have the email
addresses of all those they represent. (This is why secret systems
will not be as invulnerable to manipulation.) They will also have the
email addresses of their peers, with whom they routinely communicate.
They would be able to reconstitute the organization in a new place
within hours.

And this is, in fact, part of how Alcoholics Anonymous managed to
spread so rapidly. The saying is, "All you need to start a new
meeting is a resentment and a coffee pot." The *real* networking in
AA is that the members talk to each other. They talk at meetings,
they talk on the phone, they go out for coffee together. The meetings
themselves are generally dispensable. Clubhouses, where they exist,
might seem to violate the prohibition of property, but clubhouses,
non-members might not realize, are never owned by Alcoholics
Anonymous, but are privately owned and simply rented out to meetings,
all of which are legally and factually autonomous.

But AA never developed delegable proxy, though I've talked with AA
members who got the idea immediately. They really didn't need it, so
firmly was the concept of the value of consensus built into nearly
everything they do. They elect delegates to national meetings, if
they are following the original traditions, requiring a two-thirds
vote for election; if no candidate gets that in spite of repeated
polling, they select the candidate by lot from among the top two,
thus guaranteeing a measure of minority representation. I think it
can be done better than they do it, but what they do is good enough
for their purposes....