[EM] Strategic polls in Approval

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sat Dec 30 08:37:56 PST 2006

At 08:08 AM 12/30/2006, Juho wrote:
>Here's one simple strategy for Approval that I don't remember having
>seen on this list.

I'm personally focused on practical changes to public election
systems. For me, the essential question is not whether a system has a
potential flaw, but whether or not it is better or worse than what we
presently have. The particular vulnerability alleged here is actually
applicable to *all* election systems, it happens to be here stated in
a specific way that could make it appear that AV is more vulnerable
than, say, IRV or IRRV.

The general vulnerability is that the public can be deceived by false
information. In this case, it is false information about the
frontrunners, through a forged poll. Obviously, if the public can be
deceived about who the frontrunners are, votes may be nudged in a
system where a common strategy involves determining, first, th
identity of the frontrunners.

However, elections where this kind of fraud would succeed would be
rare. Juho proposes:

>three candidates, A, B and C
>- a neutral (and correct) opinion poll tells that A and B are the
>leading candidates and C has somewhat less support
>- some A supporters publish a new forged opinion poll that says that
>A and C are now the leading candidates and B has somewhat less support

This is an election where there is something close to a three-way
tie. That's rare, for starters.

By the definitions of frontrunner, all three are frontrunners. There
is risk of the election of any one of them. A prudent voter will consider this.

This fraudulent strategy (which is a strategy on the part of A
supporters, not of voters), to succeed, must involve a poll which is
widely publicized and believed. Presumably there will be conflicting
polls, there is no reason to suppose that A supporters have a
monopoly on polling. Indeed, we normally see conflicting polls, it is
routine. But when a poll is drastically different from what the
majority of polls are showing, we, quite properly, suspect it.

I don't think the poll would have much effect. For this strategy to
work at all, the election has to be close, there must really be some
doubt about which of the three candidates will actually turn out to
be in third place. So voters will consider that.

Essentially, they will rate the candidates (Approval is a Range
method, really), determine an Approval cutoff, and vote for all
candidates above that cutoff.

The common voting strategy proposed for Approval is to look at the
frontrunners, it is assumed that there are two, pick the favorite of
the two, and then approve that candidate plus all candidates you
prefer to that candidate, if any. Note that most people using that
strategy will, quite likely, in such an environment, only vote for
one, because, by definition, most people prefer a frontrunner over
all others. *That's why they are called frontrunners!*

Where there are three frontrunners, this strategy does not exactly
apply. That's the situation proposed. There are really no
frontrunners in this race.

The protection would be a requirement that the winner obtain majority
approval. Many elections require this. With that requirement in
place, a different strategy is proposed that is much simpler and not
vulnerable to this polling deception, because it does not involve
determining the frontrunner.

For each candidate, make an independent determination: would you
prefer the office to remain vacant or for this person to be elected?
If you'd prefer the office to remain vacant, don't vote for the
candidate. If you would prefer the candidate to be elected, vote yes.
The winner, with approval, then, is the candidate most widely
acceptable, or there is no winner.

I've learned a great deal by thinking of the deliberative process
used under Roberts Rules as the basic *deliberative* election method:
sequential nomination and vote. Someone moves that A be elected as
the officer. If the motion is seconded, it is then open to debate and
amendment. If I move that B be substituted in the motion for A, and
my amendment is seconded, *this* can then be debated, and,
presumably, will ultimately come to a vote. The vote essentially
determines if the members prefer B to A or not. If they prefer B to
A, then the amendment will pass. This process continues until all
reasonable nominations have been made and accepted or rejected. At
some point, debate is closed, typically by a two-thirds vote, and the
main motion proceeds to vote. If it passes, we have elected an
officer. If not, the post remains vacant or is otherwise filled
temporarily according to the emergency rules that apply when a post
becomes vacant for some reaso

*This is a Condorcet-compatible method,* but what may be easily
missed is that preferences, in a deliberative process, are not fixed
things. This is the difference between deliberative and aggregative
process. Aggregative process, i.e., voting, simply attempts to take a
snapshot of preferences, and possibly preference strengths as with,
for example, Range, at one point in time. It includes preferences
that would change if exposed to debate. It includes preferences that
would shift if people knew what others preferred.

Because of our continual exposure to preference systems, and a lack
of exposure to Approval and Range methods, we tend to think of
elections as a contest, with voters being opposed to each other if
they prefer different candidates. But in real organizations, where
people care about each other and about the health of the
organization, it can matter very much that a candidate is not merely
the preference of a majority, but also that the candidate is more
widely *acceptable* than that. And I have seen voting in small groups
where the majority set aside its preference in order to make a
decision that was actually approved by consensus.

Range methods can collapse this process into a single vote, but the
give-and-take that is typical of deliberative process is missing.
Range is still an aggregative method and thus is relatively
inflexible, compared to full deliberative process.

I think we need to understand that we don't use full deliberative
process, not because the results aren't superior (they would be) but
because full deliberative process is very time-consuming and, as the
group size increases, becomes increasingly so. The answer to this,
aside from using elected representatives, as in the U.S. Electoral
College as designed, not as actually used, is Delegable Proxy or
Asset Voting. This allows the group deliberating to be boiled down to
a manageable size.

I think the Electoral College was conceived to function in this way.
However, the Constitutional Convention could not agree on how
electors were to be chosen, so they left it to the states, a loophole
that political parties soon discovered and used to full effect.
Leaving it to the states meant leaving it, aside from the states
amending their constitutions to prevent it, to the legislatures. And
the legislatures could make decisions about electors by majority
vote. So the controlling party in each state could simply award all
the electors of the state to their own party. And they did.

And this has never really been fixed.

Now, as to the polling fraud strategy. If you can fool voters about a
poll, seriously, not just a few points this way or that, you can fool
them about other things as well, you can influence them to vote as
you desire by deceiving them about issues and facts. This is a
general hazard to which all aggregative methods involving the general
public are vulnerable.

And poll results are *not* essential for good Approval Voting. I
stated an alternative strategy that could easily be used in a
three-way race, and I suggest it is an appropriate one there.

When there are two front-runners, not three, voters can be reasonably
certain that one of them will win, and, thus, the realpolitik
strategy of accepting one of them is prudent, even if you don't
approve of either of them and would prefer to leave the office
vacant. That is, if you can be reasonably confident that there *will*
be a winner from among those two, then you will attempt to influence
that choice. If not, you will not use that strategy. Your favorite
does have a shot at winning, and so do both of the others. So you
will vote for your favorite and then whether or not you vote for
either of the others depends on whether or not you will find your
favorite among them acceptable if they are elected.

I think this "Yes/No" strategy is an important one and should be
mentioned in descriptions of Approval Voting. It is actually the
foundation strategy.... the choice between frontrunners, if neither
is your favorite, is a detail arising under certain conditions only.
Zero-knowledge, you would vote the Yes/No strategy, preferring the
office to remain vacant to electing a No candidate.