[EM] RE : Comments on the Yee/Bolson/et.al. pictures

Brian Olson bql at bolson.org
Fri Dec 22 17:41:49 PST 2006

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006, Warren Smith wrote:

> Approval with mean-as-threshold seemed to "look bad" in the sense that
> it could prevent some candidates from ever winning, and make their winning regions
> lie far away from them if they existed.   (This is assuming I believe the pictures
> I saw, which due to incorrect tiebreaking, I don't necessarily.  There were also some
> other interesting high-nonconvexity phenomena in tose pictures which again I do not
> necessarily believe due to incorrect tiebreaking.)

The tie-breaking code has been fixed and the images where it mattered in
the zoom-out set have been replaced.

http://bolson.org/voting/sim_one_seat/zoomout/

>> Why implement normalized range voting? That would just be somewhat off
>> from the SU graph. I'm not even sure you would see the difference.
>
> It could be quite different.  And I'd like to see how it differs and how much
> it differs from the SU graph.  Also, normalized range voting with integer scores (0-9, say)
> as opposed to continuum scores, might show some "sawtooth" effects due to
> roundoff to integers, which might also be interesting.

Indeed, it is different. I ran one quick test and got an interesting
result. I already had the code to "maximize" a rating vote, linearly
expanding the lowest vote to the minimum allowed rating and the highest to
the maximum allowed rating.

I'm running a full set of images with this method and the results will
probably be done some time tomorrow.

And in case anyone wants to download the source and tinker, you can get it
here:
http://bolson.org/voting/sim_one_seat/dist/