[EM] RE : Comments on the Yee/Bolson/et.al. pictures

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Fri Dec 22 10:06:41 PST 2006

Raphfrk,

--- raphfrk at netscape.net a écrit :
>  Btw, how hard is it to calculate the voronoi diagram ?

I think it is pretty hard. I also doubt I can afford to calculate
a Voronoi diagram of voters for every election, since the point of it
is supposed to be to save time.

>  It might be interesting to have the simulation automatically overlay
>  the voronoi diagram lines on the results (maybe have it as a switch).

Well, if all you want to see is the diagram for the candidates, set
the simulation to do SU with a very small spread of voters. Also, my
sim allows the first voter to be set to be precisely on the point being
examined, so by setting number of voters to one, I can get this diagram
very quickly.

My sim also allows you to set SU as the "base" and then for another
method see only where this method is deviating from SU. This at least
is finding the SU and [other method] winners from the same voters,
which wouldn't be the case if I just compared it to the perfect Voronoi
regions.

>  This assumes there is concensus that the voronou digram is the optimal
>  result.

I think it's definitely who you would want to elect if you could simply
read the voters' minds. There would be more room to argue about this if
the preferences weren't just distance-based.

Kevin Venzke