[EM] Comments on the Yee/Bolson/et.al. pictures

raphfrk at netscape.net raphfrk at netscape.net
Fri Dec 22 03:48:29 PST 2006

  From: wds at math.temple.edu
 > 3. Random tie-breaking is essential so all candiate winnign chances are always
 > 100% independent of the candidate-ordering.

 Definately.

 > 4. I find Venzke's discovery with a 10-candidate set that "IRV tends to favor
 > outsiders"
 > whereas "Approval(mean-based cutoff) tends to favor centrists" very interesting.
 > But it needs more investigation with

 This sorta makes sense as centre squeeze is a known issue of IRV

 > 5. Approval(mean based cutoff) looks pretty bad in these sims, although so far
 > the
 > sims have not employed correct random tiebreaking so I don't know how much of
 > them to believe. But anyway, it would be interesting when that issue is
 > repaired. This seems to be the possible basis for a good attack against
 > Approval Voting.

 The new results (on Brian Olson's site) do in fact have the random tie
 break rule.

 I think a zero info strategy is always going to have problems for approval.

 > 6. However, I have proved the following theorems in the large#voters limit:
 > (a) approval with randomized-oblivious thresholds chosen by voters yields
 > Voronoi diagram.
 > (b) approval with the following kind of strategic voters, also yield Voronoi
 > diagrams:
 > 1. run approval election. (Say X wins.)
 > 2. cast votes using X's utility as cutoff where
 > Y>X ==> approve Y.
 > Y<X ==> disapprove Y.
 > Y=X ==> toss a fair coin to decide to approve or disapprove Y.
 > which two theorems, I suppose, form some sort of defense for approval voting.

 This means that the winner of the previous election has a 50% chance of being
 approved by each voter, so only the condorcet winner can be stable ?

 > 7. Why the heck are you simulators not trying RANGE VOTING? (With voters
 > who "normalize" their range scores x via x --> (x-worstScore)/(bestScore-worstScore)
 > so that the best candidate gets range vote 1, the worst 0, and the rest are
 > reals
 > somewhere in between? [Bolson actually had "range voting" = "social utility
 > winner"
 > computing twice the same thing with different names, which was both false and
 > silly.]

 Yeah, I said the same thing.

 The source is available to add new methods.

    Raphfrk
 Interesting site
 "what if anyone could modify the laws"

 www.wikocracy.com