[EM] simulation graphs, zoomed out

raphfrk at netscape.net raphfrk at netscape.net
Thu Dec 21 01:57:03 PST 2006

  > I like how it shows regions where the outcome becomes a random pick

> between two tied candidates, each sufficiently approved of by the

> population. They're being generated directly into the web directory and

> will show up as they complete.

I was thinking that an easier way to achieve the same thing would be to

multiply each candidate's total by a random number from say [0.98 to 1.02].

This would blend 3-way (and higher) ties, while the current method will

only blend 2 way ties.

This would also work for the approval with poll case (both for the poll

and for the main election).

> Would it be a reasonable adjustment to the zero info strategy that when

> there an odd number of choices, vote with a 50% chance on a voter's middle

> choice? If the strategy is to vote yes for the top half and no for the

> bottom half, then it makes sense to try and split the middle choice in

> half that way.

from:

http://www.barnsdle.demon.co.uk/vote/apstr2.html

The strategy is to vote above mean in the zero info case.

 Basically, in the zero info case, the probability of each candidates winning is equal to all the others.
 This means that the utility of the election is equal to the average utility of all the candidates.

 The recommended strategy is to vote for all the candidates who have a utility greater (or equal) to the
 expected utility of the election.

 This is not the same as voting for the highest half of the candidates. In fact, if there were lots of candidates
 at high utility and one at very low utility, then the strategy would approve all the high utility candidates.

 The risk that the low utility candidate would win wouldn't be worth the benefit from picking between the
 candidates with similar (high) utility.

    Raphfrk
 Interesting site
 "what if anyone could modify the laws"