[EM] Would would you say about a method that gives a seat to a 1-person state?

raphfrk at netscape.net raphfrk at netscape.net
Mon Dec 18 15:04:31 PST 2006

 > From: nkklrp at hotmail.com
 >
 > The examples dramatize Hill's bias, but would could be more dramatic than
 > this?:
 >
 > If we dildn't have the 1-free-seat-for-each-state rule, Hill would give
 > everyone a seat anyway, but Hill's own rules. It would give a seat to any
 > state that contains at least one person. How do you like that for dramatic
 > bias.

 That is pretty cool, it will comply with the 1 seat per State rule 'natively'.

 Pity about the additional bias for higher numbers of seats.

 > If you had any doubt about Hill's bias, that should settle the matter.
 > Someone might say, "But that doesn't happen, due to the free seats".

 Right. Also, how small is the smallest State ?

 > While Hill's round-up point between 0 and 1 is at 0, Bias-Free's round-up
 > point in that range is near .38 That is, 1/e. Webster's round off point in
 > that range, of course, is at .5 So, though Webster is biased, it's bias
 > isn't of the dramatic nature of Hill's bias.

 Recognising that all States get 1 seat anyway, the critical point is for
 numbers greater than 1. I guess Webster is 1.5 and Hill is lower than
 that ?

 > Unbias is absolutely essential for House apportionment. That means that
 > Hamilton and Bias-Free are the only methods that can be considered for
 > apportionment.

 It seems to me that they are all reasonably close. Unless you get rid of
 the 2 Senators per State rule, slight biases in the House apportionment
 are not very significant.

 If you are going to settle for Webster, then settling for Hill isn't a major
 additional compromise.

    Raphfrk
 Interesting site
 "what if anyone could modify the laws"