[EM] Is there a criterion for identical voters casting identical ballots?

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 17 23:07:50 PST 2006

On Dec 18, 2006, at 8:31 , Dave Ketchum wrote:

> How did we get here?
>
> You talk of a method in which ONE voter can say BOTH A>B AND B>A.

Yes, either in the sense that both lose to each others or in the
sense that both win each others.

> Assuming such a method could claim useful value to justify the
> headaches of implementing it and making it understood, I have seen
> nothing to suggest Condorcet might have such an ability.

See e.g. http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Tied_at_the_top_rule.

The reason I discussed this possibility is the fact that it frees the
voter from creating an artificial loop and deciding in which
direction it should run.

>     In Condorcet the sum of all the ballots in an election can be a
> combination of some voters voting each preference in a way to,
> collectively, create a cycle - a problem to solve but not a feature
> to brag about.

Agreed. The tied at top/bottom rules are tricks that may relieve this
a bit. (Their other characteristics would need to be discussed more
to tell if they are good or bad in general.)

> You also use the word "loops" in a manner I do not understand.

I don't know how but I think I referred to artificial intentionally
generated circular preferences every time.

Juho Laatu