[EM] Is there a criterion for identical voters casting identical ballots?

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 17 11:40:02 PST 2006

I thought mostly use scenarios where the favourite candidate is not
involved in the cycles and the voters know very little about the
anticipated results. Another example in this direction would be
situation where there are n parties that each have 3 candidates.
Voters would then vote so that they first put their own candidates in
the front (in some order (ffs)) and then the other parties in the
order of preference but arranging the individual candidates within
the parties so that they will form cycles (between each others within
the parties).

Note btw that this failure of FAVS (as Warren Smith named it) is not
really related to the calculation process of the Condorcet methods
but to the ballot style. In the typical ballots voters give the
candidates a linear order, which prevents them giving cyclic
preferences. If they were able to give cyclic preferences then all
voters could vote the same way.

In principle (to be general) one could allow voters to fill a matrix
instead of giving a linear order. This would make it possible to use
also cycles and all kind of partial orderings. A related topic is the
tied at the top and tied at the bottom rules where the top candidates
may all win each others (or at the bottom lose to each others).
Support of the tied at bottom feature would make it unnecessary to
vote loops since this way all unwanted candidates would lose to each
others. This feature could also be added in the "matrix preference
votes" to eliminate some strategic loop considerations.

Also the linear order based ballots could have explicit ways to mark
"both lose" and "both win" etc. (instead of the default rules "tied
at top",...), but of course this makes voting more complex to the
voters (just like allowing full matrix preference votes would do).
Using "+" and "-" a ballot might look e.g. a+b>c=d>e-f>g-h-i.

Just for your consideration. Different ballot styles may have an
impact on strategies too.

Juho Laatu