[EM] Apportionment (biased?) let me add some more confusion to the mix :)

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 10 22:27:35 PST 2006

Yes, random allocations are yet another way to balance the situation.
Since the population of a state changes quite slowly some fixes
(random, time division, voting power) may be wanted to reduce the
risk of continuously getting less seats than the population would
give right to. Changes in the support of political parties are maybe
faster and therefore do not need similar fixes as badly.

One more tool that can be useful in some situations is the
hierarchical structure of the states/parties. To guarantee that
certain set of states/parties will not be underrepresented they could
form a team/alliance. When seats are allocated to that team they
could lose (in typical allocation methods) only one seat to rounding
errors instead on many of them losing a seat. Geographic alliances
would maybe be more natural than e.g. an alliance of small states.

I already mentioned the different voting power. A simple method in
that direction would be to elect one representative from every state
and give her voting power in relation to the number of people she
represents. Or maybe large states would be given n seats with 1/n of
the voting power of the state etc. Maybe the building where these
representatives will work has a fixed number of physical seats =>
fill those seats and allocate voting power according to that.

Juho Laatu