[EM] Election-Day musings. Sainte-Lague is the best PR.

Brian Olson bql at bolson.org
Sat Dec 9 00:01:21 PST 2006

On Dec 5, 2006, at 5:43 PM, MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:
> I already knew this, but it occurred to me again that, if we have
> to have
> representative government, it would be better if people were voting
> for a
> party. Voting for a party platform instead of for a personality, a
> hairdo,
> someone who acts presidential, etc.

Alternately, if we're going to vote for a position instead of a
person, what we should really be doing is voting for an Artificial
Intelligence program which would represent us in the legislative
body. It would dutifully enact the policies we voted for and
generally represent us well.

Unfortunately AI is hard. Until we have good AI legislators I think
we should stick with voting for people we think will do a good job of
representing us. If some moron is voting for a hair style, tell them
that they're a moron, move on and try to foster a society that values
intelligence.