[EM] Hamilton vs Webster (Sainte-Lague)

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 6 21:54:53 PST 2006

On Dec 7, 2006, at 3:50 , MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:
> You continued:
>
> and avoids the Alabama paradox, but LR/Hamilton might still be
> considered more exact in providing proportionality.
>
> I reply:
>
> Why? Hamilton's nonmonotonicity paradoxes are instances of
> unproportionality. And, as I said, Webster, and only Webster has the
> transfer property that I described. For example, given a Hamilton seat
> allocation, it could well be, due to Hamilton's random caprice,
> that if we
> take a seat from one state, and give it to another state, that seat
> transfer
> could reduce the factor by which those two states' votes per seat
> differ.
> Showing that the Hamilton allocation was suboptimal and need of
> improvement.

Joseph Malkevitch pointed out the Balinski-Young Theorem in another
mail. That's what I was actually looking for. I don't think this is
too dramatic since we are only talking about rounding errors. But if
voters can influence the outcome, then this is more serious. In the
Alabama case I think LR/Hamilton is quite harmless since people sure
do not move or give birth to children in the assumption that it might
change the political balance (especially since you don't know if
other people are moving too). But if someone is able to influence the
outcome of the census (after knowing the results of the other
states), then there is space for doing tricks. My assumption is that
in most cases LR/Hamilton works ok and people should in a way be
happy with the paradox since that gives them the "fairest possible
result". In practice SL/Webster is close enough (and monotonic), so I
find it ok as well (the difference is anyway only at rounding error
level here). And SL/Webster would be a good choice if there is a risk
of foul play.

Btw, in the case that one intentionally wants to favour large parties
I find methods like d'Hondt/Jefferson better than setting a hard
limit (e.g. 5%) that parties must reach to get their first candidate
through.

Juho Laatu