[EM] Sainte-Lague, part 3

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 6 10:58:11 PST 2006

On Dec 6, 2006, at 4:33 , MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:

> There was later another bill to enact
> LR/Hamilton. It passed and wasn't vetored, and LR/Hamilton was used
> for a
> while--till someone pointed out the bizarre paradoxes that it's
> subject to:
> Some people move from another staste to your state, causing your
> state to
> lose a seat. We add a seat to the House, and that causes your state
> to lose
> a seat. When that was pointed out, LR/Hamilton was immediately
> repealed and
> discarded. (IRVists please take note).

I understand that LR/Hamilton may lead to the Alabama paradox and
people may dislike LR/Hamilton because of this. But I think LR/
Hamilton is quite proportional and unbiased. Are there other reasons
why LR/Hamilton is not favoured? SL/Webster is close to LR/Hamilton
and avoids the Alabama paradox, but LR/Hamilton might still be
considered more exact in providing proportionality.

Juho Laatu