[EM] simulator sample code

Brian Olson bql at bolson.org
Thu Dec 14 20:45:47 PST 2006

Someone asked for sample code of what a simple election method looks
like in my simulator. Really I ought to package it up and make it
conveniently downloadable, but until then...

C++
http://bolson.org/voting/sim_one_seat/OneVotePickOne.cpp

and this in plain old C would be easy for me to translate:
void run_election_c( int* winnerArray, float** ratings, int
numVoters, int numChoices ) {
	/* for example, implementing pick-one/plurality */
	int* counts = (int*)malloc( sizeof(int*) * numChoices );
	int i, v;

	for ( i = 0; i < numChoices; i++ ) { counts[i] = 0; }
	for ( v = 0; v < numVoters; v++ ) {
		/* for each voter, find the highest rated choice and vote for it */
		int maxi = 0;
		float tmax = ratings[v][0];
		for ( i = 1; i < numChoices; i++ ) {
			if ( ratings[v][i] > tmax ) {
				tmax = ratings[v][i];
				maxi = i;
			}
		}
		counts[maxi]++;
	}
	{
		int maxi = 0;
		int max = counts[0];
		for ( i = 1; i < numChoices; i++ ) {
			if ( counts[i] > max ) {
				max = counts[i];
				maxi = i;
			}
		}
		/* winnerArary[0] receives the _index_ of the winner. */
		winnerArray[0] = maxi;
		/* can optionally sort the indecies of all the choices into the
outbound argument "winnerArray", but really only the winner at
position zero matters */
	}
	free( counts );
}