[EM] Brian--spatial simulations

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 13 12:13:09 PST 2006

  Brian--

  First, thanks for the simulation, and for the offer to include in the
simulation methods sent in by others. It's a good thing that that work is
being done.

  Samuel Merrill described his spatiatial silmulations in _Making
Multicandidate Elections More Democratic_, and in at least one subsequent
book. But ongoing simulations are important to compare new methods.

  Let me disagree with your statement that an ounce of data is worth a pound
of theorizing. The criterion compliances and other
theoretically-demonstrable facts and proporties have solid validity. The
simulations add more, but they aren't more valid than the theory. No need to
compare the importance of the different kinds of facts, when we can have
both.

  What kind of distance are you using? Pythagorean (also called Euclidean)
distance, or city-block distance. I told, on this list, why I claim that
city-block distance is more meaningful for spatial simulations.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but it seems to me that we use Pythagorean
distance when the dimensions represent quantities that don't have a
meaningful sum, such as mutually perpendicular spatial directions. Or
different people's shoe-size, etc.

But, as I claimed in my posting some years ago, the dimensionis of issue
space are, in principle, it seems to me, numerically comparable, and
therefore meaningfully summable.

Say the dimensions are economics, individual rights, and militarism. Well,
courts try to put a cost on a person's death or injury, which is part of the
disadvantage of militarism. Mililtary actions cost money too, making it
comparable to economics. Like deaths, violations of individual rights are
quantified by courts.

Or we could approach it from the opposite direction, and maybe that would be
better. Say the goal is a long and happy life. Money, military service, and
loss of individual rights affect that goal in ways that could, in principle,
be quantified.

That's why I claim that city-block distance is the most meaningful kind of
distance for spatial simulations in issue-space.

  As for methods to simulate, there are different kinds of Condorcet. Most
prefer the winning-votes kind of Condorcet. As for methods, BeatpathWinner
is probably the most popular, and probably the best.

  Have you simulated the FBS-complying methods that Kevin proposed toward
the end of my time on the list before I quit last time, a few years ago?

Mike Ossipoff