[EM] Is there a criterion for identical voters casting identical ballots?

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun Dec 17 22:31:41 PST 2006

How did we get here?

You talk of a method in which ONE voter can say BOTH A>B AND B>A.

Assuming such a method could claim useful value to justify the headaches
of implementing it and making it understood, I have seen nothing to
suggest Condorcet might have such an ability.
     In Condorcet the sum of all the ballots in an election can be a
combination of some voters voting each preference in a way to,
collectively, create a cycle - a problem to solve but not a feature to
brag about.

You also use the word "loops" in a manner I do not understand.

DWK

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 21:40:02 +0200 Juho wrote:
> [...]
>
> Note btw that this failure of FAVS (as Warren Smith named it) is not
> really related to the calculation process of the Condorcet methods  but
> to the ballot style. In the typical ballots voters give the  candidates
> a linear order, which prevents them giving cyclic  preferences. If they
> were able to give cyclic preferences then all  voters could vote the
> same way.
>
> In principle (to be general) one could allow voters to fill a matrix
> instead of giving a linear order. This would make it possible to use
> also cycles and all kind of partial orderings. A related topic is the
> tied at the top and tied at the bottom rules where the top candidates
> may all win each others (or at the bottom lose to each others).  Support
> of the tied at bottom feature would make it unnecessary to  vote loops
> since this way all unwanted candidates would lose to each  others. This
> feature could also be added in the "matrix preference  votes" to
> eliminate some strategic loop considerations.
>
> Also the linear order based ballots could have explicit ways to mark
> "both lose" and "both win" etc. (instead of the default rules "tied  at
> top",...), but of course this makes voting more complex to the  voters
> (just like allowing full matrix preference votes would do).  Using "+"
> and "-" a ballot might look e.g. a+b>c=d>e-f>g-h-i.
>
> Just for your consideration. Different ballot styles may have an  impact
> on strategies too.
>
> Juho Laatu
>

> On Dec 15, 2006, at 15:02 , Dave Ketchum wrote:
>
>> How did we get here?
>>
>> I assume no ties to simplify the discussion - not to change the rules.
>>
>> If there is a cycle, such as X>A>Y>X, A backers have no control as  to
>> X>A, but they can influence whether there is also a Y>X to  create a
>> cycle.
>>
>> Else, assuming more voters back X than A, A loses and it matters  not
>> what ordering A backers choose for others.
>>
>> If there is no such X, A wins and it matters not how A backers sort
>> those losing to A.
>>
>> LOOKING CLOSER - If A backers want to be neutral as to B/C/D, they
>> can simply vote for A as they would in Plurality.
>>
>> On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 00:01:04 +0200 Juho wrote:
>>
>>> Here is one very basic case where a group of voters has identical
>>> preferences but they benefit of casting three different kind of  ballots.
>>> In a Condorcet method there is an interest to create a loop to  your
>>> opponents. In its simplest form there are four candidates.  One of
>>> the  candidates is our favourite and the others we want to  beat.
>>> The  others may or may not be from one party (this  influences the
>>> probability of being able to generate a cycle at  least if there are
>>> more than 4 candidates). Let's anyway assume  that all the
>>> candidates  will get about the same number of votes.  Also in a zero
>>> info  situation this may be a good voting strategy.  The A supporters
>>> vote  according to three patterns as follows.
>>> A>C>D>B
>>> If all candidates have same number of first place supporters (and
>>> other preferences are mixed) and B, C and D supporters don't try  to
>>> create loops, A wins.
>>> Juho Laatu
                  If you want peace, work for justice.