[EM] DH3 pathology, margins, and winning votes

Chris Benham chrisjbenham at optusnet.com.au
Sun Aug 27 15:57:01 PDT 2006

Warren,
I  have two main points in reply to your "DH3 pathology" anti-Condorcet
argument.

> DH3 scenario with strategic votes by the A- and B-voters. #voters
> Their Vote
> 37 	C>A,B>D
> 32 	A>D>B,C
> 31 	B>D>A,C
>
> Then the pairwise tallies are going to be:
>
> Definitely 	A,B > D > C
> Probably 	C > A,B
>
> In which case we (probably) have a Condorcet cycle scenario. (It is
> actually two 3-cycles which share the common DC arc.) The weakest
> defeats in these cycles are C>A,B which means, under both every
> Condorcet rule I know of (since I think they all are equivalent in the
> 3-cycle case) and Borda, that one of {A,B} is going to be the winner.
>
> I verified that A wins in the 50-50 mixture case under Tideman ranked
> pairs <RankedPairs.html>, Schulze beatpaths <SchulzeComplic.html>, and
> basic Condorcet by using Eric Gorr's Condorcet calculator
> <http://www.ericgorr.net/condorcet/> using this input
>
>37:C>A>B>D
>37:C>B>A>D
>32:A>D>B>C
>32:A>D>C>B
>31:B>D>A>C
>31:B>D>C>A

The first is that those "defeat-dropper" style algorithms (like
Beatpath, Ranked Pairs, River,MinMax) that as you say are all equivalent
in the 3-cycle case
are not my favourites. I prefer both DMC ('Definite Majority Choice',
which allows voters to enter approval cutoffs) and Schwartz,IRV (which
elects the
member of Schwartz set highest ordered by IRV on the original ballots).

The latter has the property that a CW that is solidly supported by more
than a third of the voters (like C in your example) can't be
successfully buried,
and the former is the same except that the CW must also be exclusively
approved by more than a third of the voters.
So in the above example Schwartz,IRV elects C and if the C voters only
approve C so does DMC.

My second point is that in your scenario the A and B supporters seem
mainly concerned to elect their favourites, so in that case why wouldn't
they simply
be guided in their strategy by their favourite candidates?  Seeing how
they stand in the polls, it would be in the interests of both A and B to
make a
preference-swap deal at the expense of  C.  That way they each increase
their chances of being elected form below 33%  to about 50% without anyone
having to flirt with the car-crash.

Chris Benham