[EM] Proportional hierarchy

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Aug 23 20:14:57 PDT 2006

At 09:55 PM 8/23/2006, Rob Lanphier wrote:

>My solution would be to come up with a hierarchical filtering
>mechanism, where all users are placed (via election method described
>below) in small groups of 6-10 people.  The leaders of each of these
>groups would themselves be members of small groups, up to the top of
>the hierarchy. Members of each group see all posts by all other
>members.  Either the leader or a majority of the group can then vote
>to promote items to a higher tier.

Congratulations, Rob. You have now reached the point in thinking
about this problem that I was at about twenty years ago. I don't
think you need to take twenty years to go further. :-)

(Well, you have gone into details that I didn't consider, perhaps
because I came to a conclusion that voting was entirely unnecessary
except in a polling sense, voting need not have the ability to
control anything at all. But that takes going into the Free
Association concept, which is about as thoroughly libertarian as one
could imagine.

Delegable Proxy I see as a communication method, an essential aspect
of which is how it filters information. You have described, more or
less, with slightly different numbers, a DP network, including a bit
of how it would communicate. I've assumed that proxies would learn to
run a mailing list for their clients, just as you have described.