[EM] DH3 pathology

Warren Smith wds at math.temple.edu
Sun Aug 27 13:06:48 PDT 2006

>Doesn't this at least partially depend on the presence of a Condorcet cycle?
I note one as being present in your various examples.
--Allen Smith

--reply by WDS
no.  My main DH3 example had no cycle.  However, some of the voters
wished to try to create a scenario without a Condorcet winner (i.e.
with cycle) by means of strategic voting.  But if all the voters acted that way
rather than just some, we got a non-cyclic situation again with
the worst candidate as Condorcet winner.

So, while some thinking about cycles was involved inside voter heads
I suppose you could say  (although in fact I think they'd vote that
way even if they'd never heard of a Condorcet cycle - often)
there were no cycles before stratgeic voting, and none after it either.

The examples I am talking about are at
   http://RangeVoting.org/WinningVotes.html
see the part on DH3 especially.

Warren D Smith