[EM] 120 Seats

Brian Olson bql at bolson.org
Wed Apr 19 18:29:41 PDT 2006

On Apr 18, 2006, at 10:07 AM, Dave Ketchum wrote:

>> Pulling a proposal out of a hat, I think a group of 60 serving 6
>> year  terms, electing 20 every other year sounds like a good plan.
>> If you  like 120 we could elect 40 every other year. I think
>> electing 20 at a  time will keep the ballot length to a more
>> manageable size.
>> But that's just what I think, I could be wrong.
>

> As to the above two examples, elections elect one member from each
> district, so ballot length is a constant.  Proposing a change that
> might BOTH be better and be acceptable would need MUCH thought.
>
> As to other groups multiple member districts make much sense, but
> the mechanical detail of ballot size is only one of the details to
> consider.

Ah, I also currently suggest that of a 2 body legislative system
(house/senate) one should be districted and one should be at-large
proportional representation. I didn't say above, but was thinking it,
that 1/3 of the body would be elected at large every cycle. Thus an
election to fill 20 seats or 40 seats, all from one ballot, might
start to get onerous if there are 2-5 times as many candidates as seats.

Brian Olson
http://bolson.org/