[EM] 120 Seats

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Mon Apr 17 08:55:56 PDT 2006

> Bob Richard [electorama] > Sent: Monday, April 17, 2006 4:29 PM
> In "Seats and Votes" (1989), Chapter 15, Taagepera & Shugart
> document the empirical generalization that the size of the
> lower house tends to vary with the cube root of the
> population.

Well Israel doesn't fit that model.  In 1949 the population was 1,059,000.  In 2005 the population was 6,930,000.
Throughout that period the Knesset has had 120 members.

I suspect the "empirical generalisation" may have been valid as a snapshot of the status quo when the research was done,
but it tells us nothing useful about the dynamics of representation with population change.

James Gilmour