[EM] 120 Seats

Brian Olson bql at bolson.org
Mon Apr 17 00:27:45 PDT 2006

As far as I know, the various factorial properties of the size of a
legislative body don't have much affect on the electoral or
functional properties of such a group.

The size of a Single Transferrable Vote - Proportional Representation
legislature affects the degree to which people go unrepresented by
any of their ballot choices. I think the formula is that about 1/(N
+1) fraction of the population go unrepresented for N seats elected.

I heard that a study of the social habits and brain structure of
primates indicates that the natural size of a human tribe is around
150 based on the size of the part of our brain that handles social
interaction and it's ability to keep our acquaintances managed.

Larger groups are harder to have productive discussions within.
Smaller groups can give too much power to individuals.

I tend to think in base 10, and think 100 is a nice round number, and
the present size of the US Senate, therefore a "normal" number for a
legislature.

Pulling a proposal out of a hat, I think a group of 60 serving 6 year
terms, electing 20 every other year sounds like a good plan. If you
like 120 we could elect 40 every other year. I think electing 20 at a
time will keep the ballot length to a more manageable size.

But that's just what I think, I could be wrong.

Brian Olson
http://bolson.org/