[EM] decision process design: wealth tax

mrouse1 at mrouse.com mrouse1 at mrouse.com
Mon Apr 10 14:48:50 PDT 2006

I recently became interested in the problem of taxation myself, though at
this point I kind of lean toward the geolibertarian side -- tax people for
the "land rent" of their property (equivalent to what renting bare land
would be, rather than the total cost of land+improvements like a property
tax), regardless of what they have on it. People would tend to either
improve their property, or sell it to someone who would, and land
speculators would have a serious disincentive to grabbing vast areas of
bare land without actually doing something with it. If the tax for a piece
of land was the same for a five-star hotel as for a slum, you would tend
to have more of the former than you do with the current system. I
particularly like the philosophical justification for it -- since no one
creates the land, and its price is determined by its location and
infrastructure improvements created by others in society, people should
repay society for that value. On the other hand, if you build something on
that land with your own capital and labor, you should reap the full value
of that improvement.

It would also somewhat sidestep the issue of the Supreme Court decision to
allow government to grab land from one party to give to another for
development -- if the value of land increased because of demand, the
current owner could either sell it or pay the higher tax. Granted, it
would be annoying to pay higher taxes just because a developer wanted your
land, but you would still have more choice than would happen via eminent
domain.

This is also extended other resources claimed by society as a whole, like
clean air and water. Companies would pay a tax (carbon tax or pollution
tax) based on what they cost society as a whole, which would give a
financial incentive to reduce pollution, rather than just government
guidelines. It doesn't make much sense to charge nothing for polluting up
to a certain point and then charge a huge fine above that point, when you
can charge what it actually costs society.

(For more info, just Google geolibertarianism and Henry George)

Michael Rouse