[EM] Voting by selecting a published ordering (was sidetracked to EC)

Simmons, Forest simmonfo at up.edu
Fri Apr 28 13:22:21 PDT 2006

Steve E. wrote ...

Now... can we please go back to discussing whether candidates would have sufficiently
strong incentives to rank compromise candidates over worse candidates, when publishing
their orderings before election day, assuming the voting method I repeated above?

Yes!

In your scenario of

35M  Bush>McCain>Gore
20M  McCain>Bush>Gore
45M  Gore>McCain>Bush

Suppose Rove saw this coming, and not relying completely on slandering McCain this time, decided to publish the Bush ranking as

Bush>Gore>McCain .

Wouldn't it be to McCain's advantage to fail to rank the other two candidates?

Forest