[EM] Re: Condorcet's strategy problem

Abd ulRahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sun Sep 18 20:48:58 PDT 2005

At 08:36 PM 9/17/2005, Rob Lanphier wrote:
>My understanding of the argument made to Condorcet
>advocates is that Range has a much higher probability of picking the
>Condorcet winner than other methods of equal simplicity (e.g. Cumulative
>voting, Plurality, Borda).  However, it's difficult to explain the moral
>appeal of Range without explaining Condorcet.

The claim is a bit suspect. It would depend greatly on the conditions
of the election. Range methods in general would tend to select a
winner with broader support, Condorcet-compliant methods *will*
select the single most popular candidate, the winner of all pairwise
elections. The philosophy, actually, is quite different. However, in
many elections the approval winner will be the Condorcet winner. The
real question is who the best winner is for society, and to answer
that I think we need to look at the foundations of democracy itself.

Consider

45: A>B>>C
45: C>B>>A
10: C>A>>B