[EM] Can we come to consensus? this way?

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Mon Sep 12 21:58:47 PDT 2005

At 03:40 AM 9/12/2005, Dave Ketchum wrote:
> > Approval has the singular advantage of requiring no ballot changes,
> > only a tweak of the election rules: simply stop discarding
> overvoted ballots.
>
>Not much advantage, for even this requires reprogramming.  Better to
>go for more good with the programming.

The reprogramming is actually not necessary. All that has to be done
is to treat the election as if it were multiwinner, setting the
number of winners to the number of candidates plus one (to allow for
a write-in). Most elections do involve multiwinner races, so the
facility has to be there. The system will then report the correct vote totals.