[EM] Copeland's criteria

Rob Lanphier robla at robla.net
Sun Sep 11 22:52:42 PDT 2005

Hi Kevin,

You're right.  Copeland has some pretty big issues.

It appears to suffer the same deficiencies as margins-based methods,
since Copeland ends up treating a victory of 3%-1% with 96% abstaining
as being just as good as some other candidate's 51%-49% victory with 0%
abstaining.

Below is a proposal I'm throwing out there not as a serious proposal,
but as food for thought.  It may evolve into a serious proposal, but I'm
not optimistic.

As Abd alluded to in at least one email, it's possible to have a revised
version of Copeland that works differently.  For example, it could be
possible to not credit a candidate with a victory if they don't receive
majority support (called "Copeland Majority" for purposes of this mail).
We'll say one point for a win, no points for a loss, tie, or
"draw" (where neither candidate gets a majority).

Here's what the results of some of the examples we've discussed:
Example 1
49: A
24: B>E
27: C>D>B>E