[EM] favorite betrayal and 2-party domination

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Thu Sep 8 14:29:21 PDT 2005

Juho,

--- Juho Laatu <juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk> a écrit :
> Thanks for the reminder. I try to be careful in writing about the FBC.
> Or maybe I should write about any harm done to the favourite small
> party candidate (which could lead to 2-party domination) in a more
> general sense. In range voting the Approval style strategy of giving
> full points both to the favourite small party candidate (A) and the
> best big party candidate (B) could move us towards 2-party domination.

It could, but I don't know of any method where you always can safely
vote your favorite candidate *above* your compromise choice. If this is
what it would take to avoid two-party domination, then we are out of
luck.

> But I'm also not very worried since the real (stronger, meaningful)
> reasons for 2-party domination are elsewhere, not in Condorcet or other
> slightly big party favouring rules (e.g. d'Hondt method).

I'm confused. You say that even approval-style voting could move us
towards two-party domination, but that this doesn't worry you because
we have real, stronger, meaningful reasons elsewhere...?

If I were you, I wouldn't be very worried, either. I would feel forced
to give up on this issue.

Kevin Venzke