The problem with "utility" (Re: [EM] Re: Election-methods Digest, Vol 15, Issue 1)

Abd ulRahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Fri Sep 2 12:17:36 PDT 2005

At 04:07 PM 9/1/2005, Rob Lanphier wrote:
>Range voting methods tend to give strategic advantage to those that are
>prone to hyperbole, i.e. those people that declare "candidates A, B, and
>C are PERFECT, while candidates D and E MIGHT AS WELL BE HITLER".  Your
>strategic incentive will be to give the absolute highest rank to those
>that you approve, and the absolute lowest rank to those that you don't.
>Not everyone will do that; just the people who deeply understand the
>system and those that are prone to hyperbole.
>
>I'd just as soon not favor a system that favors those prone to
>hyperbole.  That would do real damage to humanity.

This is the core problem with higher-granularity Range. It is very
much avoided with granularity 2 range, i.e., Approval, and there are
also other ways of avoiding it. But it is not avoided in the form of
Range advocated by Mr. Smith.

I've made the same objection, I don't recall if it was here or on the
RangeVoting list. My point in responding here is to underscore that
this is not just *me* being stubborn, which is how Mr. Smith has
attempted to describe the situation.