[EM] RE: [Condorcet] Why Schulze is Better than DMC

Simmons, Forest simmonfo at up.edu
Tue Sep 13 17:20:22 PDT 2005

There are other objective measures of complexity besides the ones mentioned by Jobst. (He mentioned computational complexity from the point of view of the smallest accurate description of the method or algorithm, as well as the minimal running time of the algorithm on a fixed universal turing machine.)

What I am referring to is the logical complexity of the concepts involved.

For example, "eliminating" a defeat, versus eliminating a candidate.  The set of candidates is one thing, while the set of defeats is a subset of the set of ordered pairs of candidates, an object of higher logical type, i.e. an abstraction that is harder to think about.

In other words, the eliminations in Shulze are intrinsically harder to understand than the eliminations in DMC.

Also cycles are objects of higher logical type that don't have to be dealt with mentally in order to understand DMC.

The concept of defeat strength, another higher type object, is not needed for DMC, although it has been introduced for purposes of comparison with other methods.

When I refer to "types" I am speaking of the following.

Sets of candidates, sets of voters, and other basic sets relevant to elections are of type 1.

Those objects that can be modeled as sets of subsets of type 1 are of type 2.

Those objects that can be modeled as sets of subsets of type n are of type (n+1).

DMC beats Shulze decisively from this point of view.

Forest