[EM] RE: FBC comparison: WV, margins, MMPO, DMC

Simmons, Forest simmonfo at up.edu
Mon Sep 12 15:50:38 PDT 2005

Dear Adam (and other interested parties),

The John and Jane dialogue must have given you the wrong impression that my other discussions of the possibilities were limited to the three candidate case.  Please read them again with the idea in mind that they apply to any finite number of candidates.

I won't quibble about whether an exhaustive consideration of cases is more thorough than a course of simulations.  They are both valuable and complement each other, because each can give insights to improve the next version of the other.

Before the dialogue, I considered two cases:  (1) Compromise is sure to beat Favorite.  (2) Compromise is not sure to beat Favorite.

So far these two cases exhaust the possibilities, but that won't stop us from considering some subcases later.

In case (1) DMC gives no incentive at all for Favorite Betrayal, because approval of Compromise already reinforces the Compromise>Favorite defeat to the max.

However, in the same case under Shulze, Ranked Pairs, or River (whether margins or wv) it sometimes helps to betray Favorite by ranking Compromise strictly ahead of Favorite.  I'll give an example below, for those that have never seen this before.

Near the end of my previous message (in a part not quoted by Adam) I showed that (in the Bubble Sorted Approval formulaton of DMC) only in (what I called) case 2d would Favorite Betrayal payoff, and that case 2d is not only unlikely, but also very difficult to trust the polls on.

(I would appreciate a similarly thorough analysis of cases (1) and (2) from the wv folks.)

Here is case 2d.

Favorite has more approval than Compromise (so is seeded above Compromise), and Favorite gets defeated by someone seeded above Compromise before being challenged (but not defeated) by Compromise.

At this point we might regret that we helped Favorite block
Compromise from a chance of proceeding to the top.

However, given that Compromise had less approval than Favorite and that
Favorite beat Compromise, we shouldn't expect Compromise to have great
chances of beating all the guys ahead of Favorite, notwithstanding
pre-race polls to the contrary.

My further comment on 2d was this:

This last case (2d) would be a pretty flimsy excuse for voting Compromise
over Favorite. I suppose it could happen if your preference of Favorite
over Compromise were extremely weak, or if you had extremely precise,
detailed information in advance about voter preferences that gave Compromise a sure
chance of beating every candidate that could beat Favorite despite
Compromise having less approval than Favorite and being unable to beat
Favorite.

The John/Jane dialogue only served to dramatize the difficulty of convincing someone to rank Compomise over Favorite under case 2d (with three candidates for simplicity).

Now here's the promised example (in tournament form) of a case where wv voters would regret not having ranked Compromise ahead of Favorite, even though Compromise did end up beating Favorite, pairwise.

First the wv pairwise results without the Favorite betrayal.  Here F stands for Favorite, and C stands for Compromise, and the defeats are expressed in the form  A(65)D, meaning that A beat D by 65 to something:

C(55)F(70)A(65)D(75)F together with A(60)C(20)D

After weakest defeats in their cycles, i.e. the ones of strength 20, 55, and 65, respectively, we are left with a beatpath  D(75)F(70)A(60)C . Candidate D wins under Beatpath, River, and Ranked Pairs.

Now suppose that 25 voters go back in a time machine and reverse their F>C marks to C>F.

Then the C(55)F defeat becomes C(80)F, and all of the other defeats retain their directions and wv strengths.

This time the weakest defeats in their respective cycles are the ones with strengths 20, 60, and 65.

Already by the time we remove the defeats of strength 20 and 60, candidate C is undefeated.

If we proceed as in Ranked Pairs the respective defeats of strengths 80, 75, 70, and 20 are set in place, with C as winner.

In River we set in place the defeats of strength 80, then 70, and then 65, which coincidentally yields the strongenst beatpath C(80)F(70)A(65)D through the candidates.

If I am not mistaken, River, Beatpath, and Ranked Pairs all agree on C as winner.

I hope that this earns some respect for DMC's Favorite Betrayal resistance :-)

My Best,

Forest