[EM] compulsory voting

Warren Smith wds at math.temple.edu
Fri Oct 21 15:24:36 PDT 2005

If there is no compulsory voting, then
it makes no real sense to vote.  Logically.
Because the benefit you get from voting is
the chance you will create or break a tie, time
the benefit of the resultign election-result
change to you personally.   In large elections,
do the arithmetic to conclude that it is not worth the time and expense of
bothering to vote.

So all large elections in the absence of compulsory voting
are decided by irrational people (where I
use the word "irrational" in the sense of economists).
Is that a good thing?  I doubt it.  It also allows
vast manipulation of elections by manipulating turnout
via adept use of irrational-pyschology.

SO I am in favor both of compulsory voting, and
of making it easier/cheaper to vote.
Warren D Smith

(sorry for the spelling, my xface is poor...)