[EM] MDD,ER-Bucklin(whole)

Simmons, Forest simmonfo at up.edu
Thu Oct 20 16:51:53 PDT 2005

Mike wrote ...

Simplicity is so important in the United States that I'd probably stick with
the simpler MDDA. I don't think its SFC compliance would fail to enforce
majority pairwise votes unless there's a majority-strength circular tie.

MDD,ER-Bucklin(whole) is better, more deluxe, with more majority
protections. Maybe the fact that Bucklin is already well-known would make
that method proposable, especially if first introduced in cities that have
used Bucklin. If it can win then I'm all for proposing MDD,ER-Bucklin(whole)
  instead of MDDA.

I ask:

Wouldn't three slot MDD, Bucklin Whole be simpler than MDDA?  And wouldn't it be adequate?

It  would satisfy the FBC, and it would be safe for the Nader>Kerry folks to rate Kerry below Nader.

Restricting to three slots would make it harder than ever for the existence (let alone introduction by manipulation) of a majority strength beat cycle.

Almost certainly there would be a candidate without a majority strength defeat.

It would satisfy "Clone Winner" in the same way that Approval does.

The ballots would be simpler, etc.

The instructions would be the same as for MCA:  Circle the name(s) of your preferred candidate(s) and put a check mark next to the names of other acceptable candidates.

Forest