[EM] Renaming SFC

Rob Lanphier robla at robla.net
Mon Oct 17 19:31:09 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 02:11 +0000, MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:
> It's been suggested that SFC should have a different name. I wouldn't want
> to rename it now, becuse it's already known by the name SFC. But what would
> be another good name?:
>
> Condorcet's Criterion for Plausible Opponents (CCPO)
>
> Condorcet's Criterion More Applicable (CCMA)
>
> Strong Condorcet's Criteroin (SCC)
>
> I like the last one because of its brevity. Shall we rename SFC? Which name
> do you prefer?

Hi Mike,

I'm glad you're open to the idea of renaming SFC (a.k.a "strategy free
criterion").  However, I've got some problem with all three of the
above:

1.  They all have "Condorcet's criterion" in the name, even though
Condorcet never proposed anything like SFC, did he?  Having "Condorcet
winner" in the name would be acceptable, since the Condorcet winner is a
key part of the name.

2.  None of them have "majority" in the name, which is a defining
characteristic of the method.

3.  The "plausible opponent" and "more applicable" part would need
explaining and defending, since those concepts are pretty far removed
from the definition of the method.

Rob