[EM] compulsory voting

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Mon Oct 17 12:11:24 PDT 2005

At 12:29 PM 10/17/2005, Chris Benham wrote:
>I'm not sure how well compulsory voting would transplant to other
>countries. The compulsion element could be viewed negatively
>compared to the ideal voluntary voting system,but it is vastly
>better than real-world voluntary voting in places like the US.

This is debatable. The U.S. systems have some severe problems, but
they are not caused by voluntary voting. There is an increasing trend
to make voting easy. In most places, you can simply state that you
can't make it to the polls, and you can then vote by mail. In my
state, Massachusetts:

*****
I can't get to the polls on election day. Can I vote?

Yes. You may vote by absentee ballot if you:
will be absent from your city or town on election day, and/or
have a physical disability that prevents your voting at the polling
place, and/or cannot vote at the polls due to religious beliefs.
*****

Now, this may require the voter to file a statement that they (for
the first case) qualify, I haven't looked at the application. It's an
unenforceable provision. Some states have no special qualification at
all, for example, South Dakota, California. Ask and you shall receive.

As a general principle, democracies are not fully democratic to the
extent that they coerce their citizens. I'm not at all arguing that
coercion is unnecessary or wrong; but it is not democracy, per se, it
is the dictatorship of the majority or of whoever is in control. In a
maximally democratic society, coercion is minimized.

So there should be a good reason for coercion. Requiring all citizens
to vote, under pain of fine or imprisonment, is obviously coercive.
Quite clearly, somebody (perhaps a majority now or in the past)
decided that it was good if everyone voted. For one thing, it will
help the voter turnout statistics, and everyone knows that higher
voter turnout is a GOOD THING.

And it is. If it is not coerced. If it is coerced, it means nothing.
Instead of coercing people, why not simply take steps to improve the
political process so that people feel empowered by voting; at the
same time, make it easy to vote. Having to stand in line to vote?
That's crazy. But it is the norm.

How about this modest proposal? The government pays every voter an
amount to compensate for their time, at the rate shown by their tax
returns, or at a minimum rate for those not obligated to file returns.

It would be eminently fair. If voters are performing a public service
by voting (the compulsory voting laws must assume that they are),
then it would certainly be reasonable to compensate them. Yes, taxes
would have to be raised, but the fact is that the public is suffering
under a hidden tax by being compelled to vote. It is a tax on their time.

But I can tell you that there is no way that this would be accepted
in most jurisdictions, for an obvious reason: it would actually
increase the turnout of poor people. Showing up at the polls and
waiting in line may be easy for some people: the wealthy, and those
on the dole. But for the working poor, it can be a severe burden.

Some of the burden may already be passed off to employers, perhaps by
laws requiring that employers pay employees for the time spent voting.

The fact is that most people probably should not be voting directly.
There really is only one crucial "vote" which should be cast: "Do you
consent to being governed according to the laws and procedures of the
commonwealth?"

And it should be possible to cast this vote, as well as all others,
by proxy. It is done in business, where billions of dollars can be at
stake. Why not in politics?

As to arguments that proxy voting would not be secret, there is a
proposal on the EM wiki for election by Delegable Proxy. This
combines secret ballot with public proxies. However, as I mentioned,
huge corporations conduct votes by proxy, with billions of dollars at
stake, more at risk than is at risk in many public elections, until
you get to a national scale. If secret ballot is not necessary for
corporations, why is it necessary for public elections? Coercion
seems to be rare in corporate elections; instead there is bargaining
and negotiation. But I'll grant that procedures should exist for
secret assignment of proxies; whether or not it is fully secret or is
under seal I'll leave for those who put such a system together.

To my mind, democracy is government by *consent* of the people. To
the extent that the people consent, it is democratic. Coercing people
into voting is, quite simply, undemocratic. Even if the majority
approve of the practice.

What is the harm of allowing people not to vote? What if a person
considers himself unqualified to judge the candidates? "He can simply
not mark the ballot," it will be said. But then you have coerced this
person to coming to a room to exercise an act of futility.

The argument will be made that all citizens should be forced to come
to the polling place, so that there is no difference between rich and
poor. However, this will not erase the difference between rich and
poor, it will merely make the poor a little poorer; rather than
forcing all to come to the polling place, if you are going to require
voting, why not make it very easy? Absentee voting is a right in many
states in the U.S. Is it permitted in Australia? If not, why not?

If it is made simple and easy to vote in Australia, as by absentee
voting, then the element of coercion would be trivial and the gain
from allowing easy participation on a level playing field would outweigh it.

I live in a Town Meeting town, where much local government is in the
hands of a Town Meeting, which consists of all registered voters who
show up. Most don't. Unless something is scheduled -- and warrants,
they are called, must be scheduled -- which seriously concerns them.

But one problem: if you are a single parent, for example, or ill,
there is no absentee voting, and this is indeed appropriate, because
Town Meeting is a deliberative body. So my proposals will hope to
lead, eventually, to proxy voting at Town Meeting. It's the missing
piece, an element which, had it been adopted two centuries ago, would
have saved Town Meeting government, which otherwise became untenable
as towns grew.