[EM] full rankings, voter desire for

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Sat Oct 15 09:33:29 PDT 2005

Warren,

--- Warren Smith <wds at math.temple.edu> a écrit :
> I did not say voters always want full rankings.
>
> What I said was, I think there is a substantial SUBCLASS of elections,
> in which, all voters (except perhaps for a few who are insane or writing
> illegible ballots or something random like that) will want to provide full rankings.

If this is unwise using the given election method, non-insane voters will want
to consider this. For example, under plurality voting it is not even acceptable
to provide a full ranking. Non-insane voters who do this will spoil their ballot.

> That was all I claimed.  Now since I am asked for supporting evidence, I respond
> that many books and many authors, simply refuse to consider truncated ballots.

I suppose this is because many books and authors aren't considering strategic
issues. Analysis of a method is simpler if all the rankings are complete.

> Also some countries make them illegal.  I suggest to you, that much as you may
> dislike this, there is a reason they did that, and it is not a good idea to
> ignore it and pretend it does not exist when we design voting methods.

What do you think the reason is?

The fact that some countries bar truncated rankings doesn't seem to be
evidence for the notion that *voters* want to submit full rankings.

Kevin Venzke