[EM] I eat my words (but not wholly) 2

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Fri Oct 14 21:48:58 PDT 2005

Warren,

--- Warren Smith <wds at math.temple.edu> a écrit :
> I don't get it.  Supose there are 3 candidates.  Do you really regard it
> as inconceivable that all voters could, without effort, learn enough
> about all 3 of them to rank them?  I think that could easily happen.

There may be strategic reasons not to rank all the candidates. This is particularly
so if you want to dissuade other voters from attempting to DH3 you.

In many rank methods it is the case that by ranking an additional candidate, you
can cause this candidate to be elected instead of a candidate you prefer to
this candidate.

In MMPO this never happens. But there is *still* truncation incentive, in the
sense that you still want to discourage other voters from using DH3 strategy.

Kevin Venzke