[EM] STV with which quota?

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Thu Oct 13 06:43:33 PDT 2005

At 06:47 PM 10/12/2005, James Gilmour wrote:
> > From: stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca  Sent: Wednesday, October
> 12, 2005 2:04 PM
> >
> > But all it proves is that sometimes it can happen
> > that Droop quota leads to a more proportional result than Hare quota.
>
>The fact that it happens at all shows that the use of the Hare quota
>is flawed.
>
> > Although I haven't yet finished my analysis, my actual
> > feeling is that Hare would usually lead to a more
> > proportional result.
>
>This statement makes no sense to me, especially in view of the
>result illustrated.

It is possible, with Asset Voting, to approach the Hare quota, and
even to exactly meet it, and, under Asset, presuming a winner with
the Droop quota could result in less than the ideal proportional
representation. It would depend on the specific rules and context.
Certainly the logic behind the Droop quota is good.

Under Asset Voting, excess votes would be distributed by those
holding them (rather than by ranked assignments by the voters, though
ranked assignments might be used in addition, with priority to the
ranked assignments until they were exhausted). The distributions
would be, I would assume redistributable, so elections would be
exact, down to the fraction of a vote. I've assumed that these
elections would be meeting the Hare quota. If not, if the Droop quota
is used, there would be excess votes. Who would represent those voters?

On the other hand, if the Hare quota is used, there could remain a
set of intransigent candidates. My assumption has been that
intransigent candidates would lead to empty seats. However, there
could be other ways of dealing with the situation. The harm would be
small if there were a few representatives with less than the full
quota. It means that the representatives would have voting power in
excess of that justified by the votes, but the gain in (very small)
minority representation could be worth that small and largely
inconsequential inequity.

I might be appropriate for the rules to allow election by the Droop
quota for the last N representatives.

Most observers considering this question are approaching Proportional
Representation from the opposite side than I. Compared to
single-winner district representation, PR is a vast advance, and
results in many fewer wasted votes. However, compared to delegable
proxy, where *no* votes are wasted, PR is complex. The complexity
comes from the attempt to create a peer assembly, with equal voting
power of the representatives, instead of the norm in corporate
governance, voting power which varies with the number of proxies held.

I think the goal of a peer assembly is good. One possible compromise
would be to elect a peer assembly, with the equal voting power, to
the extent possible, and then allow a few representatives with
fractional voting power. This could approach the complete equity of
delegable proxy so closely that the difference would minimal.

Right now, assemblies are peer, but at a cost of a great number of
wasted votes; this effect is severe in single-winner district
representation, greatly ameliorated with multi-winner PR single-stage
election methods, almost entirely eliminated with Asset Voting (which
is really a multi-stage election method, it does not produce complete
results solely from the votes cast), and totally eliminated with
proxy or delegable proxy.

(Delegable proxy is recommended because it allows proxy selection on
a small scale, where the voters can personally know the proxies,
while collecting representation on a much larger scale. Otherwise
standard, single proxy would be adequate. It's my opinion that
delegable proxy would strongly reform corporate governance.)