[EM] Re: Why it doesn't matter if "prefer" means anything

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Tue Oct 11 14:28:01 PDT 2005

"But, for one thing, my
sincerity definition is only for use with my criteria, not for evaluation of

voters and their motivations. For another thing, that voter shouldn't
entirely blame my definition. Surely she would have to admit that she
contributed at least partly to the definition-mismatch by having
intransitive preferences."

If your definition is not universally applicable, don't expect laymen to
accept it. And no, no voter should have to explain anything to you about the
failure of your definitions. If your method can't accomodate us voters'
intransivities, it is not one we need to talk about or be bothered with.

Let's just leave it at your criteria isn't applicable to practical voting
methods.