Why truncation resistance is important (RE: [EM] Re: Rob: MDDA vs BeatpathWinner)

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun Oct 9 01:52:20 PDT 2005

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 00:07:55 -0700 Rob Lanphier wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-10-08 at 21:30 -0500, Paul Kislanko wrote:
>
>>All of the gobblydegoog aside, to Rob - we don't care what you want, us
>>voters want to NOT have to rank all altertantives. I want to list only the
>>ones I find acceptable in the order I prefer them. Any method that
>>"encourages" me to rank all alterntatives whether I know anything about them
>>or care about them will just encourage me to not vote.

Perhaps, while understanding the frustration Paul is expressing, I can
phrase it so others can understand.  Trying for three groups:
      Hopefuls - We need to invest as much time as we can find on these,
to try to identify the best and get them elected.
      Hopeless - because of the above need, we cannot afford more time on
these than it takes to decide they are hopeless.  Note that voting these
other than equal we would be helping/hurting their chances - and even that
is destructive if we have found no reason for such.
      Lemons - we want to be actively negative on these, for that is what
our analysis directs (these are logically unranked - if none of these,
hopeless can reasonably be unranked).

> Paul,
>
> Here's the problem with that philosophy.  Let's say there are three
> credible front-runners: "mediocre", "bad" and "worse".  I would hope
> many voters would like to be able to express both that "bad" and "worse"
> are unacceptable, while also expressing their preference of "bad" to
> "worse".

And we certainly should rank these three according to what we see.  The
argument is what to do with the hopeless, which we see as deserving equal
ranking.

> The sad fact of the matter is that when there's genuine disagreement
> about candidates, we have to compromise.  The only way to accurately
> find the compromise is if voters are actually encouraged to state what
> they'd settle for to avoid their worst outcome.

Nothing wrong with your words, PROVIDED you accept our ranking the
hopeless as equally undesirable.

> As to whether "we don't care what you want", who is the "we" you think
> you are speaking for?

      We the potential voters, to whoever is demanding that we rank the
hopeless as other than having the equal undesirability we see there.

> Rob

                  If you want peace, work for justice.