[EM] Forest--FBC compliance

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 24 18:37:35 PDT 2005

I'd said:

But wouldn't that lose the method's  FBC compliance? For FBC compliance, if
there are N candidates ranked over a particular candidate, then it's
necessary to give a vote to hat candidate in the (N+1)th round, and not
before.

Forest replies...

I think you are confusing FBC compliance with monotonicity compliance.

I reply:

No. I'm talking about FBC. If you move your favorite up to 1st place where
your compromise is, and if each Bucklin round gives votes to everyone at the
the next rank position, then you're causing your 3rd choice to get a vote
from you one round sooner. That could cause him to take victory from your
compromise. If so, then you worsened your result by not burying your
favorite.

The way to avoid that in ERBucklin(whole) is:

A candidate who has N candidates ranked over him on your ballot receives a
vote from you in the (N+1)th Bucklin round.

You continued:

With rankings you need the place holders (for monotonicity)

I reply:

The rule that I described above is needed for FBC compliance.

You continued:

but for ratings the empty slots hold the places.

I reply:

Yes, if Bucklin's rule is written to say that a candidate in the Nth slot
receives a vote in the Nth round, and the voter understands that he must
leave ampty slots when he moves his favorite up to 1st place, with his
compromise--if he doesn't want to risk that electing someone less-liked.

That confirms my statement that ratings are more difficult to use. That
voter has to know to leave empty slots to protect against giving the
election to someone less liked than the compromise.

With rankings, and the N+1 rule, he just can be assured that he never has
reason to bury his favorite.

You and another person told of ways in which rating is easier than ranking,
when there are lots of candidates.

But wouldn't it be just as easy to say: I like Smith about as much as Jones,
so why don't I rank him with the same rank number that I gave to Jones.
Sure, then he has to look up what he gave to Jones, whereas with ratings, he
just has to rate each one independently from 0 to 100.

Even if that's easier, it's more complicated to propose. You've got to
exaplain why you're using ratings, and whether the method is really a rank
method, or whether it's Range Voting. Use it for voting in a university when
a department there is voting in meetings. But proposals to the public should
be simple.

To use something that Rob said, the problem of having MDDA or SSD being used
in public elections, using rank ballots, and having the problem that ranking
lots of candidates requires writing down one's ranking in advance, or a
screen that has us dragging candidates to positions in a ranking,
etc.--That's a problem that I'd be delighted to have, regarding it from the
present perspective.

Mike Ossipoff