[EM] More about Approval

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 19 19:43:43 PDT 2005

Though I prefer MDDA, Approval and RV are the simplest, most modest, most
easily-implemented votng system reforms.

And Approval (along with strategic RV) has the most interesting voting. All
sorts of strategies, all sorts of ways of describing the voting choices and
results. That's one reason why Approval is so popular: It's fascinating, and
there's a lot more to it, and more merit, than one might at first expect.

Easy implementation, interesting voting.

Yesterday I said that, when all the candidates are obviously desirable or
undesirable, then obviusly a sincere ballot votes for the desirable ones.
But, when there's a gradation, then the sincere Approval ballot is one that
votes for (only) all the above-mean candidates.

Maybe I should say something about why that is.

A sincere Approval ballot is one that votes as much preference strength as
possible. It maximizes the sum of the strength of the preferences that it
votes. The algebraic sum, in case it votes contrary to a preference--but of
course we couldn't very well call it sincere if it did.

Say you like i better than j, and you vote for i, and not for j. The
preference strength of that pairwise vote is Ui-Uj. Now, say it's given that
you vote for j, and you decide to also for i. Voting for both i and j,
you're not voting a  preference between them, so the fact that you're voting
for i keeps you from voting a preference strength of Uj-Ui, which is
negative. So voting for i, as before, gives a postive addition to the sum of
your preference strengths that you vote, by removing the Uj-Ui preference
vote.

So, whether or not you vote for j, voting for i increases the sum of your
preference votes by the positive amount Ui-Uj. As I said, that's if you
prefer i to j.

Of course if you prefer j to i, then the opposite is true, and voting for i
decreases the sum of your voted preferences by Ui-Uj.

I don't want to delay this posting till I find a proof of this, but I think
we agree that the mean utility is also the "center of gravity", the
centroid, of where the candidates are, on the utilitly scale. That is what
you estimate when you estimate their mean. The most typical  position on the
utility scale.

The sum of candidate distances above that point equals the sum of candidate
distances below that point. So, if a candidate is above that point, then the
sum of candidate distances above him/her is less than the sum of candidate
distances below him/her.

If you vote for someone above that point, then you're adding more summed
utility difference (preference strength) below him than above him.

So,  by what I was saying earlier, if you vote for someone above that point,
you're increasing the sum of your voted preferences.

So, since you want to maximize the sum of your voted preferences, then vote
for that candidate who is above that centroid point. Vote for all the
candidates above it, and for none below it, because voting for someone below
it would lower the sum of your voted preferences.

This has been written at the keyboard instead of pre-written on paper, and
so I hope it doesn't contain an error, or less-than-best wording.

In Approval, voting for the above-mean candidates is also the zero-info
strategy. So, with Approval, as with rank-methods, the sincere vote is also
the zero-info strategic vote.

In RV, a sincere ballot is different from a zero-info strategic ballot,
since an RV strategic ballot is voted like Approval, with only the most
extreme ratings. That different sincere ballot lets the election more
accurately maximize social utility. But of course in RV strategists can take
advantage of sincere voters. In Approval that can't happen in a 0-info
election, since a strategic ballot is identical to a sincere ballot.

So Approval would be better than RV when there might be some strategic
voters.

So might BeatpathWinner (the Schulze version that I recommend for
organizations and committees). And BeatpathWinner doesn't do badly by social
utlity (SU), because often the CW maximizes SU. In spatial examples it
always does so, with city-block distance, and, by the assumptions always
made in simulations it always does so with Euclidean distance too.

But sometimes there's non-spatial disutility. Maybe a candidate has some
kind of a scandal that puts off voters throughout the political spectrum.
For that reason, utility isn't entirely spatial, and it can't be guaranteed
that the CW always maximizes SU.

So, for completely sincere, non-strategizing electorates, where SU
maxmization is desired, it's better to use RV. And if you want to maximize
SU, but there might be some strategy, and it's fairly 0-info, Approval would
be then be a better choice than RV, because, to the extent that the election
is 0-info, there's no difference between sincere ballots and strategic
ballots, so strategizers won't take advantage of sincere voters.

By the way, a few years ago there was discussion on EM in which it was
argued that, in small committees, the publc-election strategies for Approval
don't strictly apply. That, for example, the above-mean 0-info strategy
doesn't strictly apply. But the reason for that was because your own ballot
changes the probabilities, and because there can by ties with more than two
candidates. But if it's zero-info, that means that you have no information
about probabilities. Then it seems that none of that matters, and the
probabilities can be ignored, because they're the same for all
candidate-pairs. So, doesn't that mean that the above-mean strategy should
be optimal in 0-info elections even in small committees?

Forest?

On another subject, fairly recently some of us agreed that Approval will
quickly home in on the voter median point and stay there. It will stay there
just as sure as MDDA or Condorcet would. So that suggests that Approval is
only a little short of MDDA, since it's just that Approval takes one or two
elections to get to the voter median point, while MDDA will get there
immediately.

But that depends on the assumption that the progressives will stop voting
for the Democrat as soon as Nader outpolls the Republican.

(It seems to me that it isn't possible to talk about the poitical
consequences of these methods, and why their differences should matter to
you, without talking about specific parties and candidates. And,
unavoidably, saying it from the point of view of a particular faction. Is
that off-topic? Or is the interest of a faction inseparable from the merit
of these methods?)

Can we  count on the progressives to stop voting for the Democrat as soon as
Nader outpolls the the Republican? Sorry, but if there's anything the
progressives have taught me, it's "don't count on anything from the
progressives".

So the ability of progressives to use Approval or RV in their best interest
is iffy.

I often liken Approval to a solid, reliable handtool. The trouble with a
handtool is that, compared to an automatic CW-finding machine like MDDA, you
have to know how to use the handtool, because it's manual, and you have to
do it yourself.

Judging by 2004 (and previous years), I have to say that I wouldn't want to
count on the progressives being able to use Approval in their best interest.

The question of MDDA vs Approval (or RV) can be accurately likened to the
question of driving your child to school vs giving the car-keys to the child
and saying "Drive yourself to school. Let's find out how you'll do."

That being said, of course we have to settle for what we can get, and it's
most likely that Approval and RV (especiallyi RV) is what we can get. At
least they meet FBC. And maybe we can hope that they'll home in on the
voter-median because the progressives will know how to vote with Approval.

I make the comparison with MDDA just to argue that we'd be much better off
with MDDA, if we can get it. But I don't know if the chance of an MDDA
initiative succeeding is great enough to justify trying for MDDA instead of
RV or Approval.

Mike Ossipoff