[EM] Australian Senator Stott Despoja: "Compulsory voting has served us well"

Chris Benham chrisbenham at bigpond.com
Mon Oct 17 09:41:24 PDT 2005

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,16717614%255E5000423,00.html

Natasha Stott Despoja: Compulsory voting has served us well

26sep05

IN THE same week some Liberal Party members renewed a push for voluntary
voting in Australia, the leader in the British House of Commons, Geoff
Hoon, has urged his country to introduce compulsory voting.

election, former defence minister Hoon is keen to reinvigorate
democracy. Mr Hoon can see that a low voter turnout does not bode well
for democracy.

In Australia, we get a 94 per cent voter turnout and we face fines if we
do not have good reason for not voting. Compulsory attendance at the
ballot box is a more apt description given. Once inside a booth, voters
can vote formally or informally - they can doodle on their ballot
instead of number a box if they so choose - but they must take part.

The change in the Senate numbers - which gave the Coalition control from
July 1 and has seen unedifying displays such as the gagging of the
Telstra debate - could now see a revamp of our electoral laws.

Already we have seen attempts to change electoral laws in the past
Parliament, including a proposal to close the roll earlier for new
voters. Despite the abandonment of these plans, I would not be surprised
if they make a comeback in this changed Senate.

Giving new voters less time to enrol disadvantages the young. At the
past election, about 200,000 voters aged between 18 and 21 missed out on
enrolling.

Nonetheless, most surveys, including my annual Youth Poll, show most
young people do not want a lower voting age, more the pity. I suspect
politicians would give less lip service to the issues affecting young
people: education, training and employment; income support; mental
health, etc, if they had a louder voice.

A lot of the rhetoric about freedom of association and choice emanating
from federal circles - be it in relation to so-called voluntary student
unionism or voting - seems more about disenfranchising and disempowering
people.

The same people who constantly remind us that rights incur
responsibilities - for example, that one has a responsibility to work
for the dole - tend to be those who advocate voluntary voting. That is,
they promote the chance for people to dodge their responsibility to
democracy. Can't they see the selectivity of their arguments on rights
and duties? The rights of a democracy incur - at the very least - the
responsibility to vote. Democracy is a high-maintenance form of
government. It takes effort. It exists because people participate. It
dies when they don't. If you overstate choice as a quality to be pursued
at all costs, you have a crippled or dying democracy, dependent on
elites, the people who stir themselves or have a reason to stir themselves.

At least with compulsory enrolment, you give people a valid reason to
stir themselves and that is to express their choice.

The energy used by the voluntary voting proponents should be used to
widen the franchise for young people, and to make it easier for people
to vote: through the internet, in remote areas, for the aged, sick and
to improve understanding about our voting system and democracy.

The absolute imperative for those who advocate voluntary voting must be
that they convey better than ever why people should vote. I wonder how
many schools those politicians have addressed on the merits of voting.

At least we can say after an election now: this was the people's choice.
If voting becomes voluntary, "people's choice" becomes "the voting
elite's choice".

We have to ask: who would voluntary voting suit? Those with power, those
interested in power, those who can work the system, those who profit
from apathy and keeping people ignorant. Those with greater means to
persuade people to vote, for example, by providing transport to get
people to polling stations.

The system of compulsory voting has served us well. I will not be using
my vote to abolish it.

# *Natasha Stott Despoja is Democrats senator for South Australia.
*