[EM] Rob: Condorcet's Criterion vs FBC. Will people favorite-bury?

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 2 22:12:29 PDT 2005

Rob--

You said that you don't think that significantly many people would
favorite-bury in a public BeatpathWinner election.

A voter will favorite-bury if, for that voter, the important goal is to keep
an unacceptable candidate from winning, and if favorite-burial will increase
the probability of accomplishing that.

That's all the more lilkely when the voter doesn't know how BeatpathWinner's
count works, and so doesn't know how likely it is that s/he'll regret not
favorite-burying, and therefore won't want to take a chance.

But it doesn't depend on that. As as I said, I myself would favorie-bury in
BeatpathWinner if it wouild decrease the probability that an unacceptable
candidate would win.

And no, Rob, that isn't a stupid way of voting. It's the only way to vote if
the important thing is to minimize the probabilitly that an unacceptable
candidate will win.

For me, the problem with favorite-burial is when people don't agree on what
is acceptable. Someone might favorite-bury by ranking over their favorite a
candidate that some others consider unacceptable. For instance, many
favorite-buriers in our current elections rank over their favorite someone
whom I consider unacceptable.

FBC compliance gets rid of all favorite-burial incentive. Range Voting,
Approval, and MDDA accomplishl that improvement.

If favorite-burial is happening because of FBC failure, then
BeatpathWinner's compliance with Condorcet's Criterion, Smith's Criterion,
and better criteria such as SFC & GSFC, won't give those favorite-burying
voters any encouragement or reassurance. That's why FBC compliance is more
important.

Because MDDA meets FBC and SFC, MDDA provides assurance to the voters who
otherwise would need to favorite-bury, and also to the voters who don't need
that assurance, and who, therefore, can benefit from the assurance that SFC
compliance gives.

If it were up to me, public elections would use MDDA. Realistically, I
propose RV, with more rating-levels than Approval.

Mike Ossipoff