[EM] Re: worldwide survey on democracy (Abd ul-Rahman Lomax)

Abd ulRahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sat Oct 1 09:34:07 PDT 2005

At 10:08 PM 9/30/2005, Paul Kislanko wrote:
>I won't ask for or accept anything from anybody who offers to steal
>proprietary material.

Yes, but. Read the information on the web site in question.
Essentially, personal use is permitted without a subscription. But
it's a little more complex than that. Still as I read it, a user
could aid another who was not "a subscribing institution" to read the
material, *provided*. And the essence is that it is for personal use,
not for profit, and not to avoid an institutional subscription fee being paid.

Given that I am not about to pay an institutional subscription fee,
not being an institution (though sometimes being ready for one :-),
and I have no ready access to a subscribing institution, my reading
is that provision of the pdf to me would be lawful. And to be
unlawful, the unlawfulness must be clear.

I'd like that pdf too.

And I won't begin to address the common law issues around copyright.